Since my last check in, when I hadn’t accomplished a whole lot of tangible work, I’ve done a bit of writing.
1. I didn’t count how many words I wrote, but I got a decent amount of writing done on my novel. I also couldn’t sleep last night, but I refused to get out of bed to read/write. So instead I thought a lot about my book. I made a little bit of plot headway, but it definitely helped me untangle a few things that needed to be untangled.
2. Still not reading my first draft. Which, I’ve pretty much downgraded from first draft to detailed outline…
3. Wrote a flash fiction, which (especially considering I haven’t done one in a couple weeks) was actually pretty decent. I definitely struggle putting plot into a 100 word count piece. I’m great for a description, but plot…well…maybe…or maybe I’ll just hint at a plot. I felt there was more plot to this last one than most of my recent attempts. So, improvement! I’ll take it. But if you’re interested in reading it, here’s that post.
All right. Hopefully I can maintain this slow steady progress towards my goal!
Well, this is my first check in after posting goals. And honestly, I think I’m doing pretty well. Although, to be fair, I made pretty easy goals.
- 500 words a day – check – heck I blew past that goal yesterday by a couple hundred.
- No rereading – check – that’s a pretty easy goal, as long as I stay focussed on writing and don’t start thinking about how badly I’m writing. I can always edit once I’m done, but if I focus on rewriting now I’ll never write the end of the story.
- 1 flash fiction a week – check – linked it up to Friday Fictioneers. It might not be my best flash fiction, but it’s the first one I’ve written in almost a year, so not too shabby.
Good. Now I just have to keep it up. This upcoming week is pretty busy, so it will be a test.
So I’ve never done Round of Words in 80 Days but I’m working on a book idea
write right now so having a little accountability will be good for me. I’m joining this round a little late, but I’m pretty excited about trying this out.
For this round, my goals are to write 500 words a day in August, to not reread what I’ve written (at least until I’ve finished the rough draft of the story), and to post one flash fiction post a week.
All right. Well I’ve got some writing to do…thanks!
I’ve currently been holed up reading this series by Stieg Larsson.
I think it’s amazing. But you’ve probably heard others describe it as such. Regardless, it is a phenomenal read, the plot line is so intricately woven that it is truly an incredible tapestry of story.
I would highly recommend this series. But first a word of caution. I have found each book to start very slowly. I’m not saying they were boring or uninteresting, they just were laborious to read. Then, boom! I would get completely sucked in and hours flew by and then I was reaching for the next book, only to be again work at reading the first few chapters. So be aware, stick with it, because trust me, it’s worth it.