I’m a big fan of leftovers. A really big fan.
In fact, when I was a kid, leftovers were my go-to-breakfast. My favorite breakfast was spaghetti. I liked leftovers so much better than traditional breakfast foods…probably because they provided a more well rounded meal. So I got more protein and fat in, which kept me full til lunch. Whatever the reason, to this day, I still like my leftovers.
After making crockpot bbq chicken and then chicken stock, you can read about that here, I definitely had some leftover chicken to use. What to do? What to do?
Obviously the first step in a situation like this is to peruse Pinterest. Because there are always good ideas to be found there. And I stumbled upon a recipe I had pinned awhile ago. You can find the recipe I used here. But it wasn’t particularly helpful for me in using up my leftovers. But an easy additional quickly remedied that problem. And I had a fast, healthy (not to mention delicious) meal ready in a jiffy.
Black Bean Quesadillas
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup shredded cheese
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
1. Take the first 3 ingredients, mix them together.
2. Spoon 1/2 cup of mixture onto half a tortilla and fold tortilla in half.
3. Heat skillet over med heat, add a tablespoon vegetable oil.
4. Put quesadilla in skillet for about 2 minutes. Turn to other side. Remove when inside is melty and gooey but before outside gets burnt.
5. Top with salsa, sour cream, and whatever else you want